Oasis Smart Sim is proud to announce proof-of-concept for Velios-As-A-Service, the world’s first cloud-based embedded subscriber identity module (eSIM) for IoT devices. Velios offersa scalable, on-demand and secure SIM deployment on the IoT ecosystem.
A digitization of the eSIM functionality
With Velios-As-A-Service, Oasis Smart Sim offers to completely digitize the eSIM functionality and run it within a secure cloud architecture compliant with the GSMA specifications. Connected devices will no longer need to onboard pre-provisioned SIMs or eSIMs. With Velios, mobile connectivity is implemented remotely (zero-touch concept). Furthermore, the object no longer stores secure data (zero-risk concept). Cloud eSIMs are to be hosted in GSMA SAS-SM certified data centers in France. Oasis Smart Sim projects to expand its certified data center network to support the solution’s expansion during 2021 and 2022.
Indeed, Oasis Smart Sim’s cloud-based eSIM will be used in the recently announced end-to-end solution for zero-touch onboarding of cellular-connected IoT devices to cloud services built on Micron’s Technology’s Authenta™ solution and powered by Tata Communications. This solution will simplify and accelerate large-scale global deployment of internet of things (IoT) devices and the IoT services ecosystem.
The cloud eSIM adresses challenges of the IoT ecosystem
Indeed, Velios-as-a-Service will address various challenges holding back IoT growth so far:
- Offers an ultra-secure mobile network authentication service. Velios offers a secure onboarding, zero sensitive data on the connected object and no modification of the existing network infrastructure
- Enables a drastic reduction of IoT solution providers’ costs with just-in-time delivery of connectivity into the devices. Indeed, Velios-as-a-Service decreases CAPEX compared to the maintenance of a bootstrap profile on an eSIM or the installation of physical SIM cards.
The cloud eSIM enables uniques eSIM Business Models
Moreover, this cloud-based solution will also enable new business models and unique approaches of SIM technology:
- Non-permanent connectivity: with Cloud-based eSIMs, IoT solution providers will be able to activate and de-activate connectivity in one-click. Disrupting the monthly-fixed connectivity paradigm, this cost-effective pay-as-you-go model benefits customers.
- Wishing to combine Wi-Fi and cellular network.
- Wishing to activate the connectivity for a time specific use.
- To illustrate, this model benefits industries such as asset predictive maintenance, data recollection or live video/broadcast.
- Upcycled connectivity: Velios-as-a-Service enables OEMs to mutualize connections between vehicle fleets and assets. Indeed, it enables the assignment of a Cloud eSIM only to the devices in use. Cloud eSIMs are then recycled between assets. Hence, billing is made according to the quantity of Cloud eSIM connected simultaneously and not according to the quantity of eSIMs deployed. For instance, this model benefits the fleet management or logistic industry.
Olivier Leroux, President & CEO of Oasis Smart Sim, said: “We designed this program thinking about the challenges facing massive IoT deployment. For instance, the management of security risks or the requirement of zero-touch seamless integration is paramount. Moreover, with the growth of the IoT ecosystem comes the need for new cost-effective connectivity solutions to connect a large number of devices. We are very proud of the work of our Research & Development team over the last years to make that technology possible. At Oasis, we wish to keep designing and developing solutions that are at the forefront of meeting industry needs, in term of functionality and security.”
About Oasis Smart SIM
Oasis Smart SIM provides cutting edge technologies and customized services to enable the deployment of eSIM. Our mission is to provide Mobile Operators, Virtual Mobile Operators, Service Providers and Original Equipment Manufacturers the possibility to seamlessly activate and connect globally their connected devices or on 4G and 5G networks. Namely, Oasis Smart Sim’s value proposition includes a GSMA-certified Subscription Management Suite providing eSIM Remote Provisioning for Consumer Devices and M2M with the highest level of operational security, functionality and interoperability, as well as field-proven 4G and 5G-compliant eSIM Operating Systems deployable on a wide range of hardware and software configurations. On the leading edge of secure embedded software, Oasis is a GSMA member since 2011.
Press Contact Oasis
Oasis Smart Sim – iXBlue Campus, 34 rue de la Croix de Fer
78100 SAINT GERMAIN EN LAYE-FRANCE